New York News
MTA, building, fight over trashed subway stairs
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A set of subway steps in Manhattan are now the center of a nasty turf war between the MTA and the landlord of an apartment building.
The steps are a mess. They are rusted and there is trash everywhere.
The MTA says it's the landlord's job to fix them.
The landlord says it's the MTA's.
The MTA came recently and boarded up half the staircase at the Dyckman Street Subway stop in Inwood and you can see why: the steel staircase is rusted and corroded and it wouldn't be hard to trip over this mess. Most locals walk around the corner and use the other entrance.
Many have called the MTA and asked them to fix the stairs before someone gets hurt, even the side where you can walk has divots and holes rusted through.
The MTA says they've had easement agreement with the owners of the building the stairway is part of, since 1926.
According to the easement agreement, the property owner is responsible for both cleaning and repair of stairs.
"We have written to the management recently to reiterate to them that they are absolutely responsible for this area. We are awaiting their response," the MTA said.
And so is Eyewitness News. Messages left with SW Management by Eyewitness News were not returned.
People don't care who is responsible. They just want the stairs fixed.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, mta, inwood, new york news, jim dolan
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb? 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid 9 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor 22 min ago
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- AAA: 31.2M drivers to take Memorial Day road trip
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
9 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos