New York News
Bus drivers strike enters 5th day; legal decision looms
NEW YORK (WABC) -- On a bitter, frigid day, classes were in session for New York City public school students amid the fifth day of the bus driver strike.
That means it will be another tough day for tens of thousands of children left out in the cold.
The conflict is over the city's need to rein in spiraling costs against the bus drivers' goal of keeping their jobs.
The city contracts with private bus companies. It says the city must seek competitive bids to save money. But Local 1181 of the Amalgamated Transit Union wants the new contracts to include job protections for current drivers.
Some buses were running last week because their drivers are not members of Local 1181. The city Department of Education said 2,320 bus routes out of 7,700 were operating.
A decision could come as early as Wednesday on whether the strike is even legal, with the National Labor Relations Board set to hear challenges. The bus company owners are expected to testify in an effort to get an injunction to stop the strike.
Summary and links:
The city is taking the following steps for families of students who currently receive yellow bus service:
The DOE will continue to update New Yorkers and will post new information on Schools.NYC.gov. Information will also be available at 311.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bus, strike, new york news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 55 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 54 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 45 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 43 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
55 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos