New York News
4-alarm fire guts building in Washington Heights
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Many residents are out of their homes after a fourth-alarm fire tore through an apartment building in Washington Heights Wednesday night.
The fire started just after 8 p.m. at 2440 Amsterdam Avenue, a five-story apartment building just off West 181st Street.
The weather caused some problems for firefighters, too, who had to battle the intense heat of the flames as while also battling the extreme cold.
Smoke poured out of the building, making it difficult for firefighters to determine exactly where the fire was located.
Officials believe the fire started on the first floor, where there was a store that was under renovation. It quickly traveled up the walls to the top floor and through the roof.
One person suffered minor injuries.
More than 150 firefighters were at the scene, and extra firefighters were in because of the cold temperatures. Many responders had to deal with their equipment freezing.
The fire was finally brought under control just before 11 p.m.
Two MTA buses were sent to the scene for temporary shelter for the residents, who the Red Cross was working to relocate. The Sanitation Department also sent a salt spreader to combat icing conditions.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, washington heights, fire, new york news
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013