New York News
4-alarm fire guts building in Washington Heights
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Many residents are out of their homes after a fourth-alarm fire tore through an apartment building in Washington Heights Wednesday night.
The fire started just after 8 p.m. at 2440 Amsterdam Avenue, a five-story apartment building just off West 181st Street.
The weather caused some problems for firefighters, too, who had to battle the intense heat of the flames as while also battling the extreme cold.
Smoke poured out of the building, making it difficult for firefighters to determine exactly where the fire was located.
Officials believe the fire started on the first floor, where there was a store that was under renovation. It quickly traveled up the walls to the top floor and through the roof.
One person suffered minor injuries.
More than 150 firefighters were at the scene, and extra firefighters were in because of the cold temperatures. Many responders had to deal with their equipment freezing.
The fire was finally brought under control just before 11 p.m.
Two MTA buses were sent to the scene for temporary shelter for the residents, who the Red Cross was working to relocate. The Sanitation Department also sent a salt spreader to combat icing conditions.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, washington heights, fire, new york news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 43 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309M for Tuesday drawing
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom 10 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos