New York News
Serial robber targeting Asian victims in East Harlem
EAST HARLEM (WABC) -- Police swarmed an apartment building in East Harlem after they got a tip that a man fitting the description of the East Harlem attacker may have been inside.
It was a false alarm, but just shows how eager the NYPD is to catch the suspect.
The eight attack happened around 10 a.m. Saturday - another Asian woman was robbed and beaten in the elevator of her building.
The attack went down within the hour, and just blocks away from where city leaders were joining with leaders in the Asian community to address the string of violence.
"We're here to stand together against the acts of violence," said Peter Gee of Asian Americans for Equality.
Eyewitness News spoke with the first of the eight victims on Friday, who showed us where the suspect punched her in the face as he took her handbag. Now, officers are blanketing the neighborhood flyers in English and Chinese in hopes to catch the suspect.
Two of the attacks happened in buildings right next to each other, where neighbors are on the lookout for a Hispanic male, about 6-feet tall, weighing 200-240 pounds.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east harlem, robbery, new york news, darla miles
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 59 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
59 min ago