New York News
Serial robber targeting Asian victims in East Harlem
EAST HARLEM (WABC) -- Police swarmed an apartment building in East Harlem after they got a tip that a man fitting the description of the East Harlem attacker may have been inside.
It was a false alarm, but just shows how eager the NYPD is to catch the suspect.
The eight attack happened around 10 a.m. Saturday - another Asian woman was robbed and beaten in the elevator of her building.
The attack went down within the hour, and just blocks away from where city leaders were joining with leaders in the Asian community to address the string of violence.
"We're here to stand together against the acts of violence," said Peter Gee of Asian Americans for Equality.
Eyewitness News spoke with the first of the eight victims on Friday, who showed us where the suspect punched her in the face as he took her handbag. Now, officers are blanketing the neighborhood flyers in English and Chinese in hopes to catch the suspect.
Two of the attacks happened in buildings right next to each other, where neighbors are on the lookout for a Hispanic male, about 6-feet tall, weighing 200-240 pounds.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east harlem, robbery, new york news, darla miles
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87 1 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
47 min ago