New York News
Serial robber targeting Asian victims in East Harlem
EAST HARLEM (WABC) -- Police swarmed an apartment building in East Harlem after they got a tip that a man fitting the description of the East Harlem attacker may have been inside.
It was a false alarm, but just shows how eager the NYPD is to catch the suspect.
The eight attack happened around 10 a.m. Saturday - another Asian woman was robbed and beaten in the elevator of her building.
The attack went down within the hour, and just blocks away from where city leaders were joining with leaders in the Asian community to address the string of violence.
"We're here to stand together against the acts of violence," said Peter Gee of Asian Americans for Equality.
Eyewitness News spoke with the first of the eight victims on Friday, who showed us where the suspect punched her in the face as he took her handbag. Now, officers are blanketing the neighborhood flyers in English and Chinese in hopes to catch the suspect.
Two of the attacks happened in buildings right next to each other, where neighbors are on the lookout for a Hispanic male, about 6-feet tall, weighing 200-240 pounds.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east harlem, robbery, new york news, darla miles
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43 21 min ago
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos