New York News
Vigil held for teen found naked and burned
GERRITSEN BEACH (WABC) -- The family of 14-year old Shaniesha Forbes, who was found naked, partially buried, and burned on a beach last month, held a vigil Sunday evening.
The teenager's body was discovered Jan. 6 on Gerritsen Beach, and there are still no arrests in the case.
"It's not right, it's not right at all," said Corone Reid, the victim's cousin, at her funeral.
Over and over again, Reid repeated what many were thinking.
The murder has shaken the community to its core.
"This is going to take a long time to get past this," Reid said.
They have heavy hearts as they mourn a high school freshman described as full of life.
"We miss her, but I know she's in God's hands," the victim's grandmother said.
Shaniesha was last seen on Friday, January 4th.
The following Sunday, her body was discovered in Gravesend.
"We should be protecting our kids and should not be burying our kids," said Tony Herbert, a community advocate.
"We need to get justice and figure out who did this," said Carrie Ann Thomas, the victim's cousin.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, teenager, teen, gerritsen beach, new york news, jeff pegues
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
1 min ago