New York News
Vigil held for teen found naked and burned
GERRITSEN BEACH (WABC) -- The family of 14-year old Shaniesha Forbes, who was found naked, partially buried, and burned on a beach last month, held a vigil Sunday evening.
The teenager's body was discovered Jan. 6 on Gerritsen Beach, and there are still no arrests in the case.
"It's not right, it's not right at all," said Corone Reid, the victim's cousin, at her funeral.
Over and over again, Reid repeated what many were thinking.
The murder has shaken the community to its core.
"This is going to take a long time to get past this," Reid said.
They have heavy hearts as they mourn a high school freshman described as full of life.
"We miss her, but I know she's in God's hands," the victim's grandmother said.
Shaniesha was last seen on Friday, January 4th.
The following Sunday, her body was discovered in Gravesend.
"We should be protecting our kids and should not be burying our kids," said Tony Herbert, a community advocate.
"We need to get justice and figure out who did this," said Carrie Ann Thomas, the victim's cousin.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, teenager, teen, gerritsen beach, new york news, jeff pegues
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos