New York News
Woman killed in Brooklyn apartment fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fire in Williamsburg, Brooklyn has claimed the life of a 78-year old woman.
The flames broke out at around 11 p.m. Saturday in a 12th floor apartment at a public housing building on Ross Street.
When firefighters arrived, they found the severely burned body of Nelly Bermudez.
Investigators say she had been smoking, and accidentally set her mattress on fire.
No other apartments in the building were damaged, and no one else was injured or displaced by the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, williamsburg, fire death, fire, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act