New York News
Woman killed in Brooklyn apartment fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fire in Williamsburg, Brooklyn has claimed the life of a 78-year old woman.
The flames broke out at around 11 p.m. Saturday in a 12th floor apartment at a public housing building on Ross Street.
When firefighters arrived, they found the severely burned body of Nelly Bermudez.
Investigators say she had been smoking, and accidentally set her mattress on fire.
No other apartments in the building were damaged, and no one else was injured or displaced by the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, williamsburg, fire death, fire, new york news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos