New York News
Woman killed in Brooklyn apartment fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fire in Williamsburg, Brooklyn has claimed the life of a 78-year old woman.
The flames broke out at around 11 p.m. Saturday in a 12th floor apartment at a public housing building on Ross Street.
When firefighters arrived, they found the severely burned body of Nelly Bermudez.
Investigators say she had been smoking, and accidentally set her mattress on fire.
No other apartments in the building were damaged, and no one else was injured or displaced by the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, williamsburg, fire death, fire, new york news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen