New York News
Woman killed in Brooklyn apartment fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fire in Williamsburg, Brooklyn has claimed the life of a 78-year old woman.
The flames broke out at around 11 p.m. Saturday in a 12th floor apartment at a public housing building on Ross Street.
When firefighters arrived, they found the severely burned body of Nelly Bermudez.
Investigators say she had been smoking, and accidentally set her mattress on fire.
No other apartments in the building were damaged, and no one else was injured or displaced by the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, williamsburg, fire death, fire, new york news
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos 19 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident 50 min ago
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos