New York News
Kelly: Handguns the main problem on NYC streets
NEW YORK -- New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says handguns are the main problem on New York City streets when it comes to gun violence.
In an interview Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation," Kelly said he supported an assault weapon ban, but that in New York City, "the problem is the handgun."
He said 60 percent of murders in the city are done by handguns.
Kelly was in support of universal background checks. He said about 6 million weapons were sold last year without one.
Kelly also spoke about technology the NYPD is looking into that wouldbe able to read a certain kind of energy emitted by people to detect the presence of a weapon.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, raymond kelly, gun control, gun violence, new york news
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD 56 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos