New York News
Kelly: Handguns the main problem on NYC streets
NEW YORK -- New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says handguns are the main problem on New York City streets when it comes to gun violence.
In an interview Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation," Kelly said he supported an assault weapon ban, but that in New York City, "the problem is the handgun."
He said 60 percent of murders in the city are done by handguns.
Kelly was in support of universal background checks. He said about 6 million weapons were sold last year without one.
Kelly also spoke about technology the NYPD is looking into that wouldbe able to read a certain kind of energy emitted by people to detect the presence of a weapon.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, raymond kelly, gun control, gun violence, new york news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 33 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation 47 min ago
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured 2 min ago
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards 18 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 45 min ago
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500? 4 min ago
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- What can you expect for Monday's Metro...
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
33 min ago
- Hofstra students remember Andrea Rebello
47 min ago