New York News
Man murdered, bound with bag over head
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man in Upper Manhattan was found dead by his housekeeper.
He had been tied up and there was a bag over his head.
Now police are trying to figure out who did this and why.
A police officer guarded the crime scene at apartment 2K in the Hamilton Heights building.
According to residents, the man found dead hadn't lived at 87 Hamilton Place for all that long, but still a lot of people noticed Charles Romo and his little dog.
"Always seemed upbeat, it's a shame what happened," said Wiley Bautista, a neighbor.
What happened is the question everyone's asking.
According to police, the 48-year-old Houston, Texas native was found dead in a bedroom in his apartment.
His hands were tied, a plastic bag was over his head, and blood was on his face.
How he ended up that way is what NYPD detectives are trying to figure out.
Crime scene unit technicians carried bags of evidence away from the scene.
Eyewitness News is told police have been examining surveillance tape from the security cameras.
It's mostly a residential building, but there's a daycare center inside.
"It's really disturbing. It makes me leery to leave my son here," a daycare customer said.
Police are waiting for the results of the autopsy, but they are investigating Charles Romo's death as a homicide.
The building's super says he was a very nice person and seemed normal.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, murder, hamilton heights, new york news, jeff pegues
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Much Colder 13 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Runners hit the streets for NYC Half Marathon 4 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
13 min ago