New York News
Lockdown lifted after student in gun rumor found
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Bronx school was briefly locked down Tuesday after a "rumor" that a student said he had a gun in his pocket.
PS/MS 4 on Fulton Avenue was locked down around 8:15 a.m. while police searched the premisis.
"There was a rumor that a student in one of the schools on the campus came to school with a gun," a spokesperson said. "The principal called a lockdown and police are on the scene."
Officials say a school employee heard one student tell another that he brought a gun to school. That employee went to a school administrator, prompting the decision to lock down the school.
After a thorough search, police found the student and are questioning him. He does not appear to be armed and may have had a toy gun, according to reports.
The investigation is ongoing, but the lockdown was lifted before 10:30 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, school lockdown, new york news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers