New York News
Lockdown lifted after student in gun rumor found
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Bronx school was briefly locked down Tuesday after a "rumor" that a student said he had a gun in his pocket.
PS/MS 4 on Fulton Avenue was locked down around 8:15 a.m. while police searched the premisis.
"There was a rumor that a student in one of the schools on the campus came to school with a gun," a spokesperson said. "The principal called a lockdown and police are on the scene."
Officials say a school employee heard one student tell another that he brought a gun to school. That employee went to a school administrator, prompting the decision to lock down the school.
After a thorough search, police found the student and are questioning him. He does not appear to be armed and may have had a toy gun, according to reports.
The investigation is ongoing, but the lockdown was lifted before 10:30 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, school lockdown, new york news
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 31 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 20 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 25 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn 33 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident