New York News
Prom dresses collected for teen Sandy victims
NEW DORP (WABC) -- The prom is a night that teenagers never forget. Seniors on the prom committee at New Dorp High School are already starting to plan May's big event.
However, choosing a dress to wear is an even tougher decision this year since their families and thousands of others in the Tri-State area are still struggling to pick up the pieces from Sandy.
"A lot of those families really don't have the money right now to do anything but survive," said Dennis McKeon of "Where to Turn".
So, McKeon is stepping in. For years, people have donated new and gently used gowns to McKeon's "Where to Turn" organization. The prom dresses that are donated are given to girls who cannot afford to buy one. This year he is focusing on students who were affected by Superstorm Sandy.
Everyone at Danielle's French Cleaners is also on board. So far, roughly 150 dresses have come in, and there are more than 100 are on the way. This is truly a team effort. Ellen Myron, who works at the cleaners said that they do any repairs and then send the dresses off on their way.
There are still many more dresses that are needed to be sent to the teens. That is why Lisa Murphy of New Dorp High school is planning a prom expo.
"I just want them to have a fun night out, have free giveaways and feel really special," said Murphy.
It is not just dresses that they need - organizers are hoping to also collect shoes and accessories as well. They are also looking for stylists from salons to donate their time to do the girls hair and makeup.
People who want to donate dresses, shoes and accessories, or volunteer to do hair and makeup can CLICK HERE and then click on "Prom Dresses for all".
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new dorp, staten island, superstorm sandy, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Winter Weather Advisory 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 47 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 30 min ago
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 17 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice 10 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
30 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
5 min ago