New York News
NYPD officer dies after suffering chest pain on duty
NEW YORK -- Police say a New York City officer has died on duty after suffering chest pains while conducting a narcotics investigation.
The New York Police Department says Sgt. Patrick Divers was working with a narcotics team in Brooklyn when he began to experience pains and convulse around 10:30 a.m. Friday.
Colleagues rushed him to a nearby hospital, where he suffered cardiac arrest. He was 51.
Divers made more than 1,000 arrests and earned 35 recognition awards during his quarter-century with the NYPD. He graduated from St. John's University.
He is survived by his wife, a daughter and son.
It couldn't immediately be determined when the last on-duty death of an NYPD officer occurred.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police officer dies, police, new york news
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos 11 min ago
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 22 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- Baruch frat involved in hazing death gets lifetime ban
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years 36 min ago