New York News
NYPD officer dies after suffering chest pain on duty
NEW YORK -- Police say a New York City officer has died on duty after suffering chest pains while conducting a narcotics investigation.
The New York Police Department says Sgt. Patrick Divers was working with a narcotics team in Brooklyn when he began to experience pains and convulse around 10:30 a.m. Friday.
Colleagues rushed him to a nearby hospital, where he suffered cardiac arrest. He was 51.
Divers made more than 1,000 arrests and earned 35 recognition awards during his quarter-century with the NYPD. He graduated from St. John's University.
He is survived by his wife, a daughter and son.
It couldn't immediately be determined when the last on-duty death of an NYPD officer occurred.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police officer dies, police, new york news
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 5 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified 50 min ago
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 6 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
5 min ago