New York News
NYPD officer dies after suffering chest pain on duty
NEW YORK -- Police say a New York City officer has died on duty after suffering chest pains while conducting a narcotics investigation.
The New York Police Department says Sgt. Patrick Divers was working with a narcotics team in Brooklyn when he began to experience pains and convulse around 10:30 a.m. Friday.
Colleagues rushed him to a nearby hospital, where he suffered cardiac arrest. He was 51.
Divers made more than 1,000 arrests and earned 35 recognition awards during his quarter-century with the NYPD. He graduated from St. John's University.
He is survived by his wife, a daughter and son.
It couldn't immediately be determined when the last on-duty death of an NYPD officer occurred.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police officer dies, police, new york news
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident