New York News
NYPD officer dies after suffering chest pain on duty
NEW YORK -- Police say a New York City officer has died on duty after suffering chest pains while conducting a narcotics investigation.
The New York Police Department says Sgt. Patrick Divers was working with a narcotics team in Brooklyn when he began to experience pains and convulse around 10:30 a.m. Friday.
Colleagues rushed him to a nearby hospital, where he suffered cardiac arrest. He was 51.
Divers made more than 1,000 arrests and earned 35 recognition awards during his quarter-century with the NYPD. He graduated from St. John's University.
He is survived by his wife, a daughter and son.
It couldn't immediately be determined when the last on-duty death of an NYPD officer occurred.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police officer dies, police, new york news
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area 2 min ago
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Photos: Family escapes Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat 29 min ago