New York News
Rally to honor teenager shot by NYPD officer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A rally is being held Saturday to honor the teenager who was shot and killed by a New York City police officer one year ago.
18-year old Ramarley Graham was killed when a police officer entered Graham's grandmother's apartment.
Now Graham's family is accusing the NYPD of improperly training officers and unfairly targeting minorities.
They also say the NYPD tried to cover up Graham's death.
Officer Richard Haste has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter charges in the teenager's death.
The shooting stemmed from an NYPD investigation of a persistent drug trade in the Bronx neighborhood where Graham lived.
At the time, police said an observation team identified Graham as a potential suspect and radioed to other officers that he appeared to be armed with a pistol.
A civilian witness told police that around the same time, two police officers in plain clothes but wearing NYPD raid jackets pulled up and yelled at a man - apparently Graham - "Police! Don't move!"
After the man ducked into Graham's three-family home, the officers found a back entrance, climbed some stairs and broke down the door to a second-floor apartment where Graham lived with his grandmother and other family, police said.
An officer positioned behind the shooter reported seeing Graham run toward a bathroom, possibly to flush away some marijuana. He also heard Haste yell, "Show me your hands!" and "Gun! Gun!" before a shot rang out, police said.
Haste fired one shot at close range from his 9mm semiautomatic handgun, police said. The victim was struck in the upper chest and collapsed inside the bathroom, as his grandmother and 6-year-old brother stood nearby. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
A search of the apartment failed to turn up any weapons.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police shooting, new york news
- Brooklyn Bridge closed in both directions after car fire 11 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile
- Kickoff to a Long Island Summer today!
2 min ago