New York News
Boy thrown off building may have been deliberately pushed
MORRIS HEIGHTS (WABC) -- Peering out of his second floor window, Philip Rivera looked down to see the little boy from upstairs bleeding and sprawled out on the sidewalk around 8:30 Friday night.
Police say 9-year-old Fred Martin was thrown off from five stories above off of the roof of his building on Nelson Avenue in the Morris Heights Section of the Bronx by another man in the building, 17-year-old Casmine Aska.
Eyewitness News spoke with the victim's father on Sunday. He was at his son's bedside telling how much he loved him, praying he will make a full recovery.
The child's moans and commotion drew many neighbors outside after he was pushed.
"He wasn't moving," said eyewitness Wanda Simonetti.
Some neighbors say they overheard kids playing in the stairwell before the fall.
"I think they were up there; they all fell," said eyewitness Philip Rivera.
Sources say the nine-year-old victim told police Aska tossed him over the ledge. He has been charged with second degree attempted murder.
As authorities sort out the moments before the push, the father tells Eyewitness News that Fred is scheduled for another surgery on Monday to drain the internal bleeding.
Investigators have not released a motive.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, morris heights, bronx, child injured, new york news
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players 21 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- LI counterfeit health and beauty products ring busted 10 min ago
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 32 min ago
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos