New York News
Boy thrown off building may have been deliberately pushed
MORRIS HEIGHTS (WABC) -- Peering out of his second floor window, Philip Rivera looked down to see the little boy from upstairs bleeding and sprawled out on the sidewalk around 8:30 Friday night.
Police say 9-year-old Fred Martin was thrown off from five stories above off of the roof of his building on Nelson Avenue in the Morris Heights Section of the Bronx by another man in the building, 17-year-old Casmine Aska.
Eyewitness News spoke with the victim's father on Sunday. He was at his son's bedside telling how much he loved him, praying he will make a full recovery.
The child's moans and commotion drew many neighbors outside after he was pushed.
"He wasn't moving," said eyewitness Wanda Simonetti.
Some neighbors say they overheard kids playing in the stairwell before the fall.
"I think they were up there; they all fell," said eyewitness Philip Rivera.
Sources say the nine-year-old victim told police Aska tossed him over the ledge. He has been charged with second degree attempted murder.
As authorities sort out the moments before the push, the father tells Eyewitness News that Fred is scheduled for another surgery on Monday to drain the internal bleeding.
Investigators have not released a motive.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, morris heights, bronx, child injured, new york news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos