New York News
Father of boy tossed from roof will sue landlord
MORRIS HEIGHTS (WABC) -- The father of a boy thrown off the roof of a five-story Bronx building plans to sue the landlord.
According to the New York Daily News, the family of 9-year old Freddie Martin says the landlord did not properly monitor the top of the building.
The lawyer for the Bronx teenager accused of tossing the boy off the roof says it was "a tragic accident."
Seventeen-year-old Carmine Aska is charged with attempted murder, assault and other charges.
Attorney Kathryn Dyer said Aska did not intentionally push his neighbor Freddie from the roof.
According to the criminal complaint, Aska said, "On the roof i grabbed Freddie around the legs. His feet were off the ground. I turned around. I slipped and Freddie fell. I did not call 911. I did not tell my mother. I did not check to see if Freddie was ok. I did not hear the thud until I went into the apartment."
Dyer asked that her client be freed on his own recognizance or low bail.
Assistant District Attorney Dahlia Olsher Tannen said that despite his injuries, the victim was able to tell emergency medical technicians that Aska dragged him to the roof and threw him off.
The victim was discovered lying unconscious near the building in the Morris Heights neighborhood.
He fell into a coma at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital with severe injuries, but is recovering.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, morris heights, bronx, child injured, new york news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos