New York News
Disabled woman goes missing from group home
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A frantic mother is desperate to find her 24-year-old developmentally disabled daughter.
The mother left her daughter in the care of a health care facility, but the mother says instead of keeping a close eye on the vulnerable patient, the staff let her go on an unsupervised walk.
The mother says she disappeared over a week ago and there is still no sign of her.
'I'm not afraid, I trust God, I just want my baby to come home," said Francine Davis, mother.
An emotional Francine Davis pleaded for help to find her missing developmentally disabled daughter.
24-year-old Nylene Davis left the Leake and Watts group home in the Bronx where she was a resident on Sunday, January 27th.
It was supposed to be a 10-minute walk, but she hasn't been seen since.
Francine insists Nylene should never have been allowed to go anywhere alone.
"In her records she's a runaway, why would you allow a runaway to go by themselves," Davis said.
The home is run by the state Office for People with Developmental Disabilities which would only say in a written statement, "Because of confidentiality rules, OPWDD cannot publicly disclose information about any individual who receives services."
This is not the first time a Leake and Watts center has come under scrutiny. In April of last year, in Yonkers a 16-year-old boy died after being physically restrained by staff members. No charges were filed.
For now, Francine Davis says answers from the agency can wait-until she gets her daughter safely back home.
'I just want her to come how, that's all, I just want her to come home," Davis said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, missing person, bronx, new york news, sandra bookman
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer 44 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 35 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 23 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32 30 min ago
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash
42 min ago