New York News
Sandy evacuees demand better housing at City Hall
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are questions about the conditions some people are living in after Superstorm Sandy.
Specifically where people in New York City are temporarily being housed.
"This is too much for us to handle, physically and emotionally," said Isaiah Douglas, 9-years-old.
Isaiah Douglas was speaking more like an adult than a 9-year-old; three months after Superstorm Sandy left him and his whole family without a home.
They are nice living accommodations, but they are in a place where you need lots of money to live.
"I eat cereal every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner because my mom can't afford anything," Douglas said.
"If they say, 'Please mommy, can I have an apple', basic things that any mom would want for their child," said Nateisha Laws, Isaiah's mother.
Advocates for the homeless were outside City Hall Tuesday with some of the evacuees.
They were demanding more permanent housing and more assistance for food and transportation.
Among the worst situations were those in a single room occupancy walk up where they say they've had little heat, metal cots, and in John Calhoun's case, a room that feels more like, a closet.
He said on a scale of 1 to 10 he said it was a 10 or 11 because he was freezing cold.
Keep in mind some of the folks in Morrisania had living situations before Sandy, that were marginal, at best.
The mayor's office pointed out that they have provided housing at more than 50 locations, in all five boroughs.
They insist, "All those locations have been determined to be safe and the city continues to provide case management services to address any issues that arise."
Isaiah hopes the mayor understands his issues.
"My heart has a wide hole in it," Douglas said.
They are issues that he and others have made painfully clear.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, superstorm sandy, new york news, stacey sager
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 36 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 55 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 3 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
36 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos