New York News
Video released of suspect in car theft with baby inside
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The NYPD has released surveillance video of the man wanted in a Bronx car theft with a 7-month-old girl in the back seat.
The incident happened just after 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at East Kingsbridge Road and Morris Avenue in the Fordham Manor section.
Police say the mother and father pulled over in their 2005 silver Jeep Cherokee so the father could go into a cell phone store.
The mother also got out to look at the phone.
That's when an unknown man jumped into the vehicle and took off with little Ayanna Julbe in the backseat.
Police found the baby inside the stolen vehicle a short time later at Jermone Avenue and Goble Place in the Bronx.
Ayanna is said to be doing fine and is safe with her family at Montefiore Hospital.
The suspect fled the scene. The investigation is ongoing.
The wanted individual is described as a Hispanic male, heavy-set, wearing a black and white striped shirt, jeans and a baseball cap.
The video of the suspect was obtained from a parking garage on Inwood Avenue, about a block away from where the vehicle was recovered. The suspect apparently attempted to park the stolen vehicle at the parking garage at approximately 6:50 p.m.
Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, baby, theft, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets 21 min ago
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win