New York News
New York library book returned 55 years late, with $100
NEW YORK -- A long overdue book has finally been returned to the New York Public Library - 55 years late.
The New York Daily News says the biography of a 16th-century priest called "Fire of Francis Xavier" was checked out of the Fort Washington branch in upper Manhattan on April 10, 1958.
Library manager Jennifer Zarr tells the newspaper the book arrived at the library on Monday wrapped in a plain brown envelope with a check for $100 to cover the dues inside.
She says library records don't go back to 1958 and there's no way to trace who borrowed the book. She won't reveal the name on the check.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013