New York News
New York library book returned 55 years late, with $100
NEW YORK -- A long overdue book has finally been returned to the New York Public Library - 55 years late.
The New York Daily News says the biography of a 16th-century priest called "Fire of Francis Xavier" was checked out of the Fort Washington branch in upper Manhattan on April 10, 1958.
Library manager Jennifer Zarr tells the newspaper the book arrived at the library on Monday wrapped in a plain brown envelope with a check for $100 to cover the dues inside.
She says library records don't go back to 1958 and there's no way to trace who borrowed the book. She won't reveal the name on the check.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Runners hit the streets for NYC Half Marathon 2 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance