New York News
New York library book returned 55 years late, with $100
NEW YORK -- A long overdue book has finally been returned to the New York Public Library - 55 years late.
The New York Daily News says the biography of a 16th-century priest called "Fire of Francis Xavier" was checked out of the Fort Washington branch in upper Manhattan on April 10, 1958.
Library manager Jennifer Zarr tells the newspaper the book arrived at the library on Monday wrapped in a plain brown envelope with a check for $100 to cover the dues inside.
She says library records don't go back to 1958 and there's no way to trace who borrowed the book. She won't reveal the name on the check.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 47 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos