New York News
Boy killed in Brooklyn fire started by space heater
FLATBUSH -- Authorities say a fire sparked by a space heater in a Brooklyn apartment on a freezing, snowy morning has killed an 8-year-old boy.
The Fire Department says a firefighter and another person were taken to hospitals with minor injuries after the blaze early Saturday. It was in a building on Bedford Avenue in the Flatbush neighborhood.
Henry Barnes lives across the street. He told The New York Times he was awaked by screams, went outside and saw two women standing in the street.
He says one was yelling: "Get my kids, get my kids."
The boy died at the scene of the fire. His name hasn't been released.
Firefighters determined the space heater was too close to some combustible items. It's not immediately clear what they were.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, fire death, new york news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 22 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed 55 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 56 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
46 min ago