New York News
NYU nurse singled out in State of the Union
NEW YORK (WABC) -- During his State of the Union Address, President Obama singled out a hospital nurse in New York who, during Superstorm Sandy, jumped into action and saved the lives of newborns.
It was some shout out from the President Tuesday night.
"We should follow the example of a New York City nurse named Menchu Sanchez," President Obama said.
Menchu Sanchez sat right next to the First Lady at the State of the Union address and the spotlight was mighty bright, especially compared to where this story starts, it was, a dark and stormy night.
The first time two-month-old Andrew Blanco ever saw the outside of a hospital was in the depth of Superstorm Sandy.
The machines that had kept Andrew alive suddenly went silent, the lights went out and if Andrew and 19 other infants were to survive, the nurses and doctors at NYU Langone would have to get them down nine flights of stairs, to safety.
Andrew's mom was racing to the hospital.
A nation held its breath as the pictures aired live on Eyewitness News and across the country.
One critically ill infant at a time, those nurses and doctors made the journey, one step at a time, as they later reenacted it for ABC's "20/20".
The first baby brought down weighed two pounds.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, barack obama, superstorm sandy, new york news, jim dolan
- Missing plane may have turned back 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 46 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
25 min ago