New York News
State Senator looks to reverse pet pig laws
NEW YORK (WABC) -- They're not your usual family pet, but a growing number of families are choosing to have pigs as pets.
But now New York City is cracking down.
Petey is a 39 pound Juliana Pig.
He likes cardigans, walks, and peanut butter.
"We have a pooper scooper, when he goes we pick it up," said Nicky Forgione.
Their kids think it's crazy that there is a law out there that bans pet pigs.
"It's really crazy," said Nicky.
The city health department says they are simply enforcing the law and a state senator who lives around here asks why then things have been different for the mayor.
"It begs the question where was this enforcement when there was a pet pig in Gracie Mansion the mayor's daughter brought in? Where was that same enforcement," asks Tony Avello.
He wants the law revisited, and promises the city has bigger fish to fry.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, michelle charlesworth
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide