New York News
Man dead, elderly mom hurt in Jamaica Hills fire
QUEENS (WABC) -- One man was and his elderly mother injured in an apartment building fire in Queens early Tuesday.
The fire broke out in an apartment on Wexford Terrace in Jamaica Hills just before 5:30 a.m.
A 62-year-old man identified as Henry Schwan was found dead inside, while his 87-year-old mother was rushed to New York Hospital of Queens in stable condition.
The fire, which was contained to the one second-floor apartment, was quickly brought under control.
Neighbors said they heard a noise around 5:45 a.m. They didn't see a lot of flames, but there were tremendous amounts of smoke billowing from the windows of the apartment.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, jamaica, queens, fire, deadly fire, new york news
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power 40 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale 21 min ago
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall 20 min ago
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma