New York News
Man dead, elderly mom hurt in Jamaica Hills fire
QUEENS (WABC) -- One man was and his elderly mother injured in an apartment building fire in Queens early Tuesday.
The fire broke out in an apartment on Wexford Terrace in Jamaica Hills just before 5:30 a.m.
A 62-year-old man identified as Henry Schwan was found dead inside, while his 87-year-old mother was rushed to New York Hospital of Queens in stable condition.
The fire, which was contained to the one second-floor apartment, was quickly brought under control.
Neighbors said they heard a noise around 5:45 a.m. They didn't see a lot of flames, but there were tremendous amounts of smoke billowing from the windows of the apartment.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, jamaica, queens, fire, deadly fire, new york news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit trains back on schedule after earlier delays 28 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City 15 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island 42 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 40 min ago
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service 45 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos