New York News
Police arrest suspect in Bronx cemetery robberies
BRONX (WABC) -- Police in the Bronx arrested one man accused of looting tens of thousands of dollars worth of bronze from mausoleums in a cemetery.
The incidents happened over five days at St. Raymond's Cemetery in the Throgs Neck section.
Authorities say the suspect, 56-year-old Louis Peduto, specifically targeted mausoleums, taking door handles, vents and name plates. He made off with as much as $180,000 worth of valuables.
"We identified a suspect this weekend," Chief Security Officer Matt Horace said. "The suspect actually ran from FJC security guards, which dropped a bag containing burglary tools in the bag. We took photos of the suspect, and the photos and the tools and any other evidence were relinquished to the NYPD."
Peduto was arrested on Tuesday evening. It's unclear if he was working alone or with others.
Police say there has been lax security at the cemetery, and the thefts weren't noticed until Monday.
Grieving visitors were visibly upset that anyone would steal from the dead, and there were also concerns about how to keep the 180-acre site secure.
More than 4,000 people are buried at St. Raymond's each year, most of the Catholic. There are some notable celebrities buried there, including singer Billie Holiday and former boxing champion Hector "Macho" Camacho.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, throgs neck, robbery, new york news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 16 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son