New York News
FBI: Arrests made in counterfeit car parts ring
NEW YORK (WABC) -- FBI officials have arrested three in an alleged counterfeit ring of car parts in Queens and New Jersey.
Officials say the ring was manufacturing and selling counterfeit car parts and selling them as well known brands.
Many of those parts were sold to taxi operators, and authorities believe many taxis are driving around on city streets with the fake parts.
One of the raids was in Queens, with two others in Paterson, New Jersey.
Agents identified the suspects as Shashi Mahhorta, Fadi Kilani, and Richard Dininni.
More than 50 agents are on the scene at 35th avenue where inside they found car batteries, boxes of brake pads, and other car items stocked floor to ceiling.
Officials say the car parts marked in boxes with Ford, Chrysler, and GM on them were actually not from those companies but were generic pieces.
The TLC tells Eyewitness News there is no need for concern, and every cab is inspected three times a year.
"We congratulate the FBI on this investigation and today's operation. The public may remain confident in the safety of New York City taxicabs by virtue of the frequent and exhaustive inspections they each undergo at the TLC's own state-of-the-art facility, but successfully keeping counterfeiters like these at bay is crucial," said David Yassky with the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission.
The FBI plans on being at the Queens location for days as they log all of the parts.
LINK: VIEW PHOTOS FROM BUST
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, counterfeit, paterson, new jersey, new york news
- Winter Weather Advisory 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- President Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 55 min ago
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 4 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Winter Weather Advisory
27 min ago