New York News
Students hurry to take G.E.D. test before 2014 changes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Students in New York State are rushing to get their G.E.D.'s before the guidlines change in 2013.
These young people are serious about what they're learning, and they all have the same goal.
"The importance of the G.E.D. for me is because I want a better future for myself," said Maria Leal.
The not for profit, "Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow", is part of a public campaign to get as many people as possible to take the G.E.D. test this year.
"I'm in this school right now because I want to pass the G.E.D., 'cause it's going to be harder in 2014," said Eduardo Evangelista.
The G.E.D. test covers Language Arts, Writing, Math, Science and Social Studies. A score of 410 is required to pass each of those subjects, and a total score of 2,250 is required to pass the overall test.
Students are now able to transfer partial passing scores if they take the test again.
"But it will be a brand new exam. These young adults will have to start all over," said Randolph Peers.
The initiative to get the GED test passed this year is aimed mainly at people who have taken the test in the past, but have not quite scored enough points to gain the diploma.
The campaign is led by Paula Gavin, who heads the fund for public advocacy. She says getting a diploma is good for both the student and the city.
"They benefit because a person who has their G.E.D. tends to be less likely to commit a crime, they tend to have better health, so that saves money, and then they get better jobs, so that generates more tax revenue," she said.
Hotline for more information: (718-557-2525)
or text GED to 30644
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 14 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 14 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 48 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos