New York News
Man wrongly accused of looting sues city
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Storm debris still lines many of the streets in Coney Island as still-struggling residents line-up for help.
But not all of the scars in the wake of Superstorm Sandy are so easy to see, just ask Donald Franks.
"That was a whole other ordeal after the ordeal. You know, it's still hurtful now. Yes, I'm angry," Franks said.
He's angry because he says he was falsely arrested after Sandy hit and jailed for nine days and seven of them were on Rikers Island.
"For somebody that never had been locked up before or have a police record to go to Rikers and to be subjected to strip searches, their food and to be treated like a criminal," Franks said.
Franks was accused of looting the Key Food market on Neptune Avenue. It was just one of several local businesses ransacked right after the storm.
He says officers arrested him in the courtyard of his apartment building, right behind the store, and refused to believe he was simply heading into his home.
A grand jury finally did and the charges against him were dropped.
He has now hired an attorney and filed suit against the city.
"What happened to him was really everyone's worst nightmare," said Baree Fett, Franks' attorney.
A city law department spokesperson would only say, "We are reviewing the lawsuit. Claims in a complaint are merely allegations unless and until proven otherwise."
'It's about this not happening to anyone else," Franks said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, coney island, wrongly accused, superstorm sandy, new york news, sandra bookman
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park