New York News
EXCLUSIVE: Hospital sex assault victim speaks
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The young woman testified before a grand jury, and the DA was able to up the sexual abuse charges from a felony to a misdemeanor.
It was reassuring for both her and her family.
"What just happened, how could I wake up to someone touching me?" the victim said.
Imagine waking up to a strange, unfamiliar face lying next to you.
"What really awoken me was the sound of the whispering and the cold on my breast, my breast was in his hand," the victim said.
She says she was sexually assaulted inside of the emergency room at Kings County Hospital.
It happened last month to the 28-year-old mother of two, who Eyewitness News is not identifying.
She says she woke up on the gurney, and a man was engaged in a sex act, with his hand in her shirt and pants.
"What happened? What happened that this total stranger was not only allowed to sit on the bed, but lay in the bed with me and caress me like I'm his woman or something like that?" the victim said.
52-year-old Gregory Campfield has been indicted for sexual abuse in the first, second and third degree and harassment.
"He lay in the bed with me, and when I jumped up to call for help, he didn't move, he laid there, he didn't run. He did not run. That means that he was comfortable with what he had just done," the victim said.
During the first four days of her hospital stay, she says Kings County was so crowded, that she was treated in open area, with no curtains, no privacy, and where she believes someone should have noticed.
"I'm sorry. It's so hurtful because like I said, I came there and I trusted them with my life, I trusted them with my life. And for someone to be able to molest me while I'm under their care, it's totally devastating," the victim said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, sexual assault, hospital, new york news, darla miles
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 6 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick 23 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event 36 min ago
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday 25 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos