New York News
EXCLUSIVE: Hospital sex assault victim speaks
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The young woman testified before a grand jury, and the DA was able to up the sexual abuse charges from a felony to a misdemeanor.
It was reassuring for both her and her family.
"What just happened, how could I wake up to someone touching me?" the victim said.
Imagine waking up to a strange, unfamiliar face lying next to you.
"What really awoken me was the sound of the whispering and the cold on my breast, my breast was in his hand," the victim said.
She says she was sexually assaulted inside of the emergency room at Kings County Hospital.
It happened last month to the 28-year-old mother of two, who Eyewitness News is not identifying.
She says she woke up on the gurney, and a man was engaged in a sex act, with his hand in her shirt and pants.
"What happened? What happened that this total stranger was not only allowed to sit on the bed, but lay in the bed with me and caress me like I'm his woman or something like that?" the victim said.
52-year-old Gregory Campfield has been indicted for sexual abuse in the first, second and third degree and harassment.
"He lay in the bed with me, and when I jumped up to call for help, he didn't move, he laid there, he didn't run. He did not run. That means that he was comfortable with what he had just done," the victim said.
During the first four days of her hospital stay, she says Kings County was so crowded, that she was treated in open area, with no curtains, no privacy, and where she believes someone should have noticed.
"I'm sorry. It's so hurtful because like I said, I came there and I trusted them with my life, I trusted them with my life. And for someone to be able to molest me while I'm under their care, it's totally devastating," the victim said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, sexual assault, hospital, new york news, darla miles
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 22 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 31 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 44 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 21 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 19 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 36 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 10 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos