New York News
Subway robbery suspect sketches released
BRONX (WABC) -- The NYPD has released sketches of two men wanted in a string of violent subway robberies in the Bronx.
In all of the attacks, the victims had just entered the station located at Grand Concourse and East 175 Street, on the D line, when they were jumped by as many as eight men.
On three different days, a band of thieves with three to as many as eight men would jump unsuspecting subway riders.
They would punch them first, and then steal the victim's cash, cell phones, and whatever they could find in their pockets.
The attacks happened late in the evening on December 26th, January 10th and the 19th; leaving riders like Shannon Short, who has only been in the city a couple of months, concerned about safety.
"You're trying to keep your family safe. It definitely matters that these incidents are reduced as much as possible," Short said.
A 23-year-old woman, who was the most recent to be attacked, was approached by seven men.
She fought back, actually holding on to her attacker. He then punched her again and ended up throwing here down a flight of stairs.
Police released sketches of two of the suspects they are trying to identify and locate on Wednesday.
One of them was wearing a distinctive horse shoe emblem on his cap.
The first two victims were men in their 30's, police revealed. But because the last attack was a young woman, other women are now being more cautious.
"You just have to be very careful. And as a female as I say, you are supposed to be looking behind your back," said Jan Johnson, a subway rider.
The victims did not sustain any major injuries.
Anyone with information in regards is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, grand concourse, subway crime, subway, robbery, new york news, tim fleischer
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania 18 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard 12 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239...
19 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in...
18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
4 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
12 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos