New York News
Cops: Ongoing neighbor dispute ends in fatal stabbing
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An argument just before midnight Tuesday appears to have cost a Brooklyn woman her life.
Police say the 56-year-old victim, identified as Serena Matthews, was repeatedly stabbed around the torso after a dispute inside an apartment at the Institute for Community Living on Louis Avenue in the Bushwick section.
She was stabbed numerous times in the upper body and rushed to Woodhull Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Police now have one of her neighbors in custody in connection with the incident.
Neighbors say the incident was the culmination of an ongoing dispute inside the building, described as a home for people with psychiatric disabilities.
Other neighbors heard yelling and called police.
Matthews reportedly had prior arrests in Atlanta for criminal possession, assault, aggravated harassment and cruelty to children.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, stabbing, new york news
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 44 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 26 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 24 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick...
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos