New York News
Cops: Ongoing neighbor dispute ends in fatal stabbing
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An argument just before midnight Tuesday appears to have cost a Brooklyn woman her life.
Police say the 56-year-old victim, identified as Serena Matthews, was repeatedly stabbed around the torso after a dispute inside an apartment at the Institute for Community Living on Louis Avenue in the Bushwick section.
She was stabbed numerous times in the upper body and rushed to Woodhull Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Police now have one of her neighbors in custody in connection with the incident.
Neighbors say the incident was the culmination of an ongoing dispute inside the building, described as a home for people with psychiatric disabilities.
Other neighbors heard yelling and called police.
Matthews reportedly had prior arrests in Atlanta for criminal possession, assault, aggravated harassment and cruelty to children.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, stabbing, new york news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 15 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
18 min ago