New York News
Cops: Ongoing neighbor dispute ends in fatal stabbing
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An argument just before midnight Tuesday appears to have cost a Brooklyn woman her life.
Police say the 56-year-old victim, identified as Serena Matthews, was repeatedly stabbed around the torso after a dispute inside an apartment at the Institute for Community Living on Louis Avenue in the Bushwick section.
She was stabbed numerous times in the upper body and rushed to Woodhull Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Police now have one of her neighbors in custody in connection with the incident.
Neighbors say the incident was the culmination of an ongoing dispute inside the building, described as a home for people with psychiatric disabilities.
Other neighbors heard yelling and called police.
Matthews reportedly had prior arrests in Atlanta for criminal possession, assault, aggravated harassment and cruelty to children.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, stabbing, new york news
- I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Actress Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid
- Rangers stay alive with OT goal against Bruins
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma