New York News
Cops: Ongoing neighbor dispute ends in fatal stabbing
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An argument just before midnight Tuesday appears to have cost a Brooklyn woman her life.
Police say the 56-year-old victim, identified as Serena Matthews, was repeatedly stabbed around the torso after a dispute inside an apartment at the Institute for Community Living on Louis Avenue in the Bushwick section.
She was stabbed numerous times in the upper body and rushed to Woodhull Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Police now have one of her neighbors in custody in connection with the incident.
Neighbors say the incident was the culmination of an ongoing dispute inside the building, described as a home for people with psychiatric disabilities.
Other neighbors heard yelling and called police.
Matthews reportedly had prior arrests in Atlanta for criminal possession, assault, aggravated harassment and cruelty to children.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, stabbing, new york news
- NJ Transit buses delayed 30 minutes 18 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues 20 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance 37 min ago
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety 47 min ago
- Tree trouble in Dumont
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
20 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos