New York News
Rookie cop arrests turnstile jumper rape suspect
NEW YORK -- The NYPD says an officer arrested a man for turnstile jumping and then discovered he was wanted in connection with a rape.
Officer Timothy Russo, who graduated from the Police Academy in January, made the arrest Tuesday afternoon.
Police say the man was trying to ride the subway without paying at Archer Avenue and Parsons Boulevard in Queens.
That's when it was determined that the suspect was wanted for the August crime. A man broke into the victim's home in south-central Queens, choked with her an electrical cord and raped her.
Police say 30-year-old Kenny Campbell of Queens is charged with rape and theft of service.
The name of his attorney was not immediately known.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, rape, subway, queens, new york news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 10 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years 37 min ago
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela 11 min ago
- Reaction to death of Nelson Mandela 4 min ago
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos