New York News
Suspect wanted in attempted child abduction
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say they are searching for a male suspect that attempted to abduct an 8 year-old from PS 33 in the Bronx.
The 8 year-old girl, a third grader says a man tried to approach her twice while on her way to PS 33 Thursday morning.
The girl says the first time the suspect allegedly tried to grab her, and then the second time approached her on the school steps and asked her to come with him.
At that point she ran inside an the Principal and the police were informed.
Police released a surveillance photo of the suspect on Thursday evening.
The suspect is described as a black man, between the ages of 20 and 30, 5'10", and was last seen wearing a black jacket, black shoes, brown hat and a hooded sweatshirt.
The school sent home a letter urging parents to tell their kids not to speak to strangers.
Parents at the school seem to be on edge.
"I would never ever send my child to a school by herself," said one parent.
Sources say there may be video of the suspect talking to the girl, but the quality of the video is in question.
The girl was walking to school with her sisters and all three continue to be interviewed by police.
Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, attempted abduction, bronx, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97