New York News
Charges in YouTube girl fight
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The NYPD has charged two teenagers, as juveniles in the fight between girls inside Edgar Allan Poe Park in the Bronx.
The 14 and 15 year-old girls are charged with child endangerment as juveniles.
Two others are also facing charges.
The disturbing video was posted on YouTube, sparking an investigation and a search for the location and the participants.
Authorities say the incident began as a fight between two older girls over candy. They then proceeded to use their baby sisters, all of 6 and 7 years old, to settle the score.
In the video, you can clearly hear the person who police say is the older sister of the 6-year-old egging her on to fight the 7-year-old, who was crying.
When the video first went viral, police had no idea where the footage was shot. But they say the mother of the 7-year-old eventually stepped forward and identified her daughter, and then cops began to piece the details together.
The fight happened months ago, and the Edgar Allan Poe park in the Fordham over Christmas break. Police say the young girls were forced to fight after the sisters bumped into each other in an earlier argument in the same park over candy.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, fordham, you tube, new york news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks 28 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK