New York News
Bronx father arraigned after child shot himself
BRONX (WABC) -- A Bronx father was arraigned on criminal charges Saturday night after his 5-year old son accidentally shot himself in the arm while playing with a gun.
33-year-old Denny Pantoja pleaded not guilty to charges of criminal possession of a weapon, and endangering the welfare of a child.
He is being held on $100,000 bail.
Police now say the child shot himself, though the father reportedly initially told several different stories about how the boy was wounded.
The father of the young boy who accidentally shot himself is set to be arraigned Saturday night in Bronx Criminal Court.
In the meantime, there are still many questions surrounding what happened.
Police say Pantoja initially told police his son was shot during a robbery at a check cashing store, but detectives were skeptical. He later admitted his son shot himself. People in the neighborhood tell Eyewitness News that illegal guns are common in the area. They say most people have them for protection.
"This is a bad neighborhood, this is the way it is," said business owner John Scott, "People want to protect themselves, some people take different precautions to do it."
The 5-year-old boy who shot himself is in stable condition at Lincoln Hospital.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, child shot, morrisania, shooting, new york news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 18 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation 32 min ago
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards 3 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 30 min ago
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who has the best shot of winning the... 3 min ago
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
18 min ago