New York News
Husband charged in Chinatown meat cleaver attack
CHINATOWN (WABC) -- A 24-year-old woman is in critical condition and her husband is charged with attempted murder in a meat cleaver attack caught on video in Lower Manhattan Sunday afternoon.
The bizarre and violent attack happened at the corner of Allen and Canal streets in Chinatown, and firefighters are being credited with saving the victim's life.
Firefighters from Engine 9/Ladder 6 say it was the craziest thing they have ever seen, and the incident was captured on camera.
Witnesses say 28-year-old Ming Guang Huang hacked his wife several times, all within view of the stunned firefighters who jumped into action.
They pulled the suspect off the victim, who was panicked and covered in blood. She took off running down the street, and the firefighters had to catch her to treat her wounds.
"I was happy that we were there to help," firefighter Jose Ortiz said. "I'm sorry that we weren't there early enough to stop the whole thing altogether."
Huang is charged with attempted murder, assault, criminal possession of a weapon and harassment. The woman is in critical but stable condition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, chinatown, manhattan, new york news
- Large explosion, fire in East Harlem; at least 11 hurt 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 18 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos