New York News
Husband charged in Chinatown meat cleaver attack
CHINATOWN (WABC) -- A 24-year-old woman is in critical condition and her husband is charged with attempted murder in a meat cleaver attack caught on video in Lower Manhattan Sunday afternoon.
The bizarre and violent attack happened at the corner of Allen and Canal streets in Chinatown, and firefighters are being credited with saving the victim's life.
Firefighters from Engine 9/Ladder 6 say it was the craziest thing they have ever seen, and the incident was captured on camera.
Witnesses say 28-year-old Ming Guang Huang hacked his wife several times, all within view of the stunned firefighters who jumped into action.
They pulled the suspect off the victim, who was panicked and covered in blood. She took off running down the street, and the firefighters had to catch her to treat her wounds.
"I was happy that we were there to help," firefighter Jose Ortiz said. "I'm sorry that we weren't there early enough to stop the whole thing altogether."
Huang is charged with attempted murder, assault, criminal possession of a weapon and harassment. The woman is in critical but stable condition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, chinatown, manhattan, new york news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos