New York News
First Monday commute with new MTA fare hikes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Commuters went back to work Monday morning paying more to use subways, bridges, buses and tunnels after the MTA's fare increases.The base fare subways and buses jumped 25 cents, from $2.25 to $2.50. A single ride is now $2.75. Express buses are now $6, up from $5.50. A 30-day unlimited MetroCard rose $8 to $112. And there is now a one dollar charge to buy a new card. Drivers aren't off the hook: Tolls went up on the MTA bridges and tunnels. Drivers now have to pay the odd price of $5.33 for the MTA bridges and tunnels if you have an E-ZPass, and $7.50 for cash customers. On the LIRR and Metro-North, fares went up between 8 and 9%, depending on how far you travel. Many commuters complained about the service even more than the fare hike.
One commuter suggested this motto for the LIRR: "Paying a lot of money for not much service."
The MTA says its fares are generally in line with other comparable transit systems from coast to coast.
When it comes to the LIRR, the nation's busiest commuter railroad, 60 percent of its budget goes to its employees for pension costs and other labor-related issues. That's before they spend a dime to improve service.
But Suzann, hustling to catch her train to Hicksville, said what just about everyone was thinking.
"They want more for transportation, but my salary stays the same," she said.
For more information visit: http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=975
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, mta, metro north, long island railroad, subway, new york news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 39 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos