New York News
First Monday commute with new MTA fare hikes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Commuters went back to work Monday morning paying more to use subways, bridges, buses and tunnels after the MTA's fare increases.The base fare subways and buses jumped 25 cents, from $2.25 to $2.50. A single ride is now $2.75. Express buses are now $6, up from $5.50. A 30-day unlimited MetroCard rose $8 to $112. And there is now a one dollar charge to buy a new card. Drivers aren't off the hook: Tolls went up on the MTA bridges and tunnels. Drivers now have to pay the odd price of $5.33 for the MTA bridges and tunnels if you have an E-ZPass, and $7.50 for cash customers. On the LIRR and Metro-North, fares went up between 8 and 9%, depending on how far you travel. Many commuters complained about the service even more than the fare hike.
One commuter suggested this motto for the LIRR: "Paying a lot of money for not much service."
The MTA says its fares are generally in line with other comparable transit systems from coast to coast.
When it comes to the LIRR, the nation's busiest commuter railroad, 60 percent of its budget goes to its employees for pension costs and other labor-related issues. That's before they spend a dime to improve service.
But Suzann, hustling to catch her train to Hicksville, said what just about everyone was thinking.
"They want more for transportation, but my salary stays the same," she said.
For more information visit: http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=975
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, mta, metro north, long island railroad, subway, new york news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 36 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store 49 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas