New York News
Body found in barrel in Harlem
HARLEM (WABC) -- Police are trying to identify the body found by a grandmother in her grandson's room in Harlem.
The woman called 911 on Saturday night about a foul odor coming from her grandson's room at her home on 2400 Seventh Ave near West 140th Street.
Authorities later discovered a 55-gallon drum with a body inside, sources said.
The clothed body was stuffed inside the drum, so police weren't immediately sure whether the victim was male or female, sources said.
Khylisha Brooks' family lives next to the apartment where the body was discovered. She says her neighbors kept to themselves.
"I do not want to be here at this moment at all, it's uncomfortable," said Brooks.
Like many residents Eyewitness News talked to, Brooks says she is unnerved by the details of the crime.
Brooks says she can't get her mother to leave her apartment.
"She doesn't want to come out of the houses, it's horrible, very horrible," Brooks adds.
No one has been arrested or charged in the case.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that they have yet to question the grandson. He is currently at St. Luke's Hospital undergoing a psychiatric evaluation.
new york city, harlem, body found, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 28 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
15 min ago