New York News
Body found in barrel in Harlem
HARLEM (WABC) -- Police are trying to identify the body found by a grandmother in her grandson's room in Harlem.
The woman called 911 on Saturday night about a foul odor coming from her grandson's room at her home on 2400 Seventh Ave near West 140th Street.
Authorities later discovered a 55-gallon drum with a body inside, sources said.
The clothed body was stuffed inside the drum, so police weren't immediately sure whether the victim was male or female, sources said.
Khylisha Brooks' family lives next to the apartment where the body was discovered. She says her neighbors kept to themselves.
"I do not want to be here at this moment at all, it's uncomfortable," said Brooks.
Like many residents Eyewitness News talked to, Brooks says she is unnerved by the details of the crime.
Brooks says she can't get her mother to leave her apartment.
"She doesn't want to come out of the houses, it's horrible, very horrible," Brooks adds.
No one has been arrested or charged in the case.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that they have yet to question the grandson. He is currently at St. Luke's Hospital undergoing a psychiatric evaluation.
new york city, harlem, body found, new york news
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river 22 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- A-Rod sells home and makes $15 Million profit 18 min ago
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash....
22 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos