New York News
Body found in barrel in Harlem
HARLEM (WABC) -- Police are trying to identify the body found by a grandmother in her grandson's room in Harlem.
The woman called 911 on Saturday night about a foul odor coming from her grandson's room at her home on 2400 Seventh Ave near West 140th Street.
Authorities later discovered a 55-gallon drum with a body inside, sources said.
The clothed body was stuffed inside the drum, so police weren't immediately sure whether the victim was male or female, sources said.
Khylisha Brooks' family lives next to the apartment where the body was discovered. She says her neighbors kept to themselves.
"I do not want to be here at this moment at all, it's uncomfortable," said Brooks.
Like many residents Eyewitness News talked to, Brooks says she is unnerved by the details of the crime.
Brooks says she can't get her mother to leave her apartment.
"She doesn't want to come out of the houses, it's horrible, very horrible," Brooks adds.
No one has been arrested or charged in the case.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that they have yet to question the grandson. He is currently at St. Luke's Hospital undergoing a psychiatric evaluation.
new york city, harlem, body found, new york news
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
10 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos