New York News
Body found in barrel in Harlem
HARLEM (WABC) -- Police are trying to identify the body found by a grandmother in her grandson's room in Harlem.
The woman called 911 on Saturday night about a foul odor coming from her grandson's room at her home on 2400 Seventh Ave near West 140th Street.
Authorities later discovered a 55-gallon drum with a body inside, sources said.
The clothed body was stuffed inside the drum, so police weren't immediately sure whether the victim was male or female, sources said.
Khylisha Brooks' family lives next to the apartment where the body was discovered. She says her neighbors kept to themselves.
"I do not want to be here at this moment at all, it's uncomfortable," said Brooks.
Like many residents Eyewitness News talked to, Brooks says she is unnerved by the details of the crime.
Brooks says she can't get her mother to leave her apartment.
"She doesn't want to come out of the houses, it's horrible, very horrible," Brooks adds.
No one has been arrested or charged in the case.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that they have yet to question the grandson. He is currently at St. Luke's Hospital undergoing a psychiatric evaluation.
new york city, harlem, body found, new york news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 22 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 23 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 1 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
19 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
56 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos