New York News
Body in barrel was murder victim, medical examiner rules
HARLEM (WABC) -- Investigators say the body of a woman found in a 55-gallon drum in a Harlem apartment over the weekend had been stabbed multiple times.
The discovery was made inside a home on 2400 Seventh Ave near West 140th Street over the weekend.
An autopsy determined the woman sustained wounds to the torso, injuring her major organs. The cause of death was ruled a homicide.
Officials are still working to make a positive identification of the body, which they say had been in the barrel for several days and was decomposing.
A young man who lives in the room where the body was found is in police custody and undergoing a psychological exam at St. Luke's Hospital.
Detectives plan to question him about the death, which is preliminarily being investigated as a domestic dispute.
The body was found after the man's grandmother called police about a foul odor coming from the room Saturday night.
new york city, harlem, body found, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 40 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 53 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 27 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
40 min ago