New York News
Body in barrel was murder victim, medical examiner rules
HARLEM (WABC) -- Investigators say the body of a woman found in a 55-gallon drum in a Harlem apartment over the weekend had been stabbed multiple times.
The discovery was made inside a home on 2400 Seventh Ave near West 140th Street over the weekend.
An autopsy determined the woman sustained wounds to the torso, injuring her major organs. The cause of death was ruled a homicide.
Officials are still working to make a positive identification of the body, which they say had been in the barrel for several days and was decomposing.
A young man who lives in the room where the body was found is in police custody and undergoing a psychological exam at St. Luke's Hospital.
Detectives plan to question him about the death, which is preliminarily being investigated as a domestic dispute.
The body was found after the man's grandmother called police about a foul odor coming from the room Saturday night.
new york city, harlem, body found, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 14 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014