New York News
Body in barrel was murder victim, medical examiner rules
HARLEM (WABC) -- Investigators say the body of a woman found in a 55-gallon drum in a Harlem apartment over the weekend had been stabbed multiple times.
The discovery was made inside a home on 2400 Seventh Ave near West 140th Street over the weekend.
An autopsy determined the woman sustained wounds to the torso, injuring her major organs. The cause of death was ruled a homicide.
Officials are still working to make a positive identification of the body, which they say had been in the barrel for several days and was decomposing.
A young man who lives in the room where the body was found is in police custody and undergoing a psychological exam at St. Luke's Hospital.
Detectives plan to question him about the death, which is preliminarily being investigated as a domestic dispute.
The body was found after the man's grandmother called police about a foul odor coming from the room Saturday night.
new york city, harlem, body found, new york news
- At least 2 dead, 28 hurt in East Harlem explosion 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion 39 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East... 29 min ago
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect... 39 min ago
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem 44 min ago
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15... 45 min ago
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion... 45 min ago
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination